First here are some facts of the common cold:
- There are nearly 62 Million cases each year. (NIH)
- There is an estimated 20 million school days missed annually. (NIH)
- You don't "catch a cold", but earn it through poor health and nutrition.
- Children catch a cold on average of 6-10 times per year.
- Most common colds in children under the age of 3 can lead to an ear infection.
- You don't get a cold by being cold.
To prevent from getting a cold there are some things you can do.
- Make homemade bone broth and drink it daily. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals to keep the body healthy. (Start off slow with 1 teaspoon and work up to 1 cup a day)
- Take Vitamin D3 daily from September through April. This helps keep the liver healthy to break down harmful toxins that can weaken the immune system. (Dosage Information)
- Get adequate sleep. Going to bed at least by 10PM to 4AM can help the liver rid it's body of toxins which can weaken the immune system. It also helps the body deal with stress.
- Learn to let the little things go. Emotions greatly affect our health. It can be for the good or bad. (Reference Sheet)
- Do some kind of physical activity indoors and outdoors. This can be from going for a short brisk walk, to playing a sport to deep cleaning.
- Keep Nature's Sunshine Silver Shield Gel on hand instead of Hand Sanitizer. It is a safer option and works great.
- Avoiding processed foods, boxed foods, fast food and refined sugars will dramatically decrease your chance of getting a cold. All these foods are acidic and can cause different health issues which can lead to catching a cold.
Now even with doing all of this there is no guarantee of not getting a cold but reducing your chances of getting a cold. The good news is that you can dramatically decrease the length of it. Here is my protocol and what we have done in my house for almost 5 years.
At the first sign of a cold here is what we do. (Do all treatments for a minimum of 3 days the cold should be subdued or gone before then. If it isn't then you will need to do for 7 days.)
- Silver Shield Liquid at the first sign of a cold. This helps kill any kind of bacteria or virus in the body. (1/4 teaspoon 4 times a day-6 months and under, 1/2 teaspoon 4 times a day for 6-18 months, 1 teaspoon 4 times a day for 18 months through 3 years old, 2 teaspoons 4 times a day for 3-5 years old, 1 tablespoon 4 times a day for 5 to 13 years of age, 2 tablespoons 4 times a day for 13 and over)
- Vitamin C ( I prefer the powdered one so that way I can mix with juice if I need to). This helps with itching eyes, and build the immune system to fight off the cold. This varies on bowel tolerance. For 6 months 250mg every 2-3 hours, 6-12 months 250mg every hour, 1-3 years 500mg every 3 hours, 3-5 years old 500mg every 2 hours, 5-10 years old 500mg every hour, and 10 and up 1000mg every 1.5 hours. *Some people have a higher bowel tolerance than others. Once you, or your child starts to get loose stools back off on the Vitamin C and spread it out over 3-5 hours instead*
- Vitamin D3-This helps the liver break down the toxins in the body causing the runny nose, sneezing, and fatigue. D3 you want to actually take for 7 days instead of just the 3. If you catch a cold in the summer getting out side to get some sun will help as well. (Reference Sheet)
- ALJ - This is a formula made from Nature's Sunshine. It is Kosher Certified and you can get it in a capsule, or liquid form. It is in a vegetable glycerin mix. This helps fight off toxins in the nasal cavities, lungs and lymphatic system. It also aids the body in ridding the toxins from the respiratory system so the runny nose is less and congestion clears up faster. (For infants 6 months and younger 1-3 drops every hour, 6-12 months 2-4 drops every hour, 1-3 years 3-5 drops every hour, 3-5 years 4-6 drops every hour, 5-10 years 5-7 drops every hour, 10 and up 7-9 drops every hour)
- Homemade Beef Broth (see recipe above). Take a 1-2 cups a day and can be broken up into several hours.
- Skin Brushing and then taking a Detox Bath (I would add fresh ginger also to the bath). You can do this up to 4 times a day and rest between. This helps remove toxins and heal faster.
- Drink lots of water if possible make some herbal teas. My favorite is from Traditional Medicinals.
- REST, REST, and REST. This is crucial in helping the body heal.
The key is to help aid the body rid the toxins. All of these supplements, and foods will help the liver detox, the kidneys filter the toxins, the lungs export the toxins and the bowels remove the toxins.