Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Monday, October 3, 2011

Saving Time With Starter Packs

This is my first guest blog by my good friend Carol Ann. She does these packs to help save on time. It has been a life saver to many and very cheap. I love the idea because I can easily make some brown rice, or some beans and mix. These are also great to add in a roast, or ham and cook it up. 


Clean, peel, and dice any root vegetables you desire along with the following.  Add in seasoning mixture and freeze.

root vegetables (turnips, kohlrabi, carrots, beets)
onion
bell peppers
Kale (or other greens if you have them)
peas (if desired)

add seasonings you desire..

I use:

1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp basil
2 bay leaves
2 cloves of garlic diced
1 tbsp Herbamare
& 1 tbsp of my hubby's secret seasonings... I know it contains turmeric, maybe coriander.. not sure what else. 

Place all in a ziploc and freeze.

I made 10 of these so they are conveniently ready for a crock pot meal or for the pressure cooker.  I use them in two ways as of right now.  I put beef in the crock pot, layer it with the starter pack, then put halved peeled potatoes on top and then add water or broth.  I would also do this with beef, starter pack, barley, and diced tomatoes w/ water or broth for a beef and barley soup.  The combinations are endless.  It is nice to do most of the prep work at one time and just have to add a few ingredients when it is time to start the meal.  Celery I do not put in the freezer packs because my meals will cook for several hours and I wouldn't want the celery to get soggy.
 











I hope that helps!  Enjoy!

To read more of Carol Ann's tips you can find them at her BLOG

Let me know what you like to put in your starter bags. Let's get healthy and creative together. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment