Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Spicy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

I have to say this is by far my favorite snack. I am always looking at what I can do to my food to give an extra benefit. For instance if I put garlic on my food it's to help kill bacteria, fight of infections, or just keep my immune system ready for defense. So when we went and got our pumpkins I wanted to do something different than just salt on my seeds. I am not a huge fan of lime so I did Capsicum flavored pumpkin seeds. Recipe is as follows.

Ingredients:

  • Pumpkin Seeds from one or many pumpkins. 
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 1/4 of a teaspoon Capsicum powder or Cayenne pepper (I used capsicum) per cup of pumpkin seeds. 
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Rinse and drain the pumpkin seeds. (Get as much of the guts off as possible)
  • On a cookie sheet or cake pan put the seeds in an even layer. Try not to stack them so they evenly cook.
  • Sprinkle the salt on there very sparingly.  
  • Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light to medium brown. 
  • Put the seeds in a container and put the desired amount of chile (Capsicum or Cayenne powder) to the seeds and shake around so it gets on all the seeds. 
  • Save or eat while warm. 

Now for my reasoning of capsicum instead of cayenne. Capsicum is often a cleaner part of the chili, and has a lot more zing. Capsicum unlike Cayenne has several health benefits. (Click HERE for the full list) Some of the benefits are it's a blood thinner, speeds up metabolism to help aid for weight loss and is high in vitamin C. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment